Friday, December 9, 2011

Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash & Quinoa


While the sun is still shining here in San Francisco the air has turned winter crisp. I don’t do well in the cold. It’s habitual for me to blast the heat in my car to 90 degrees during the winter months! Back in high school my little sister wasn’t a fan of my heated car when I picked her up from her intense Tae-Kwon Do classes. She was already sweating before she got into the car and I would still be shivering. I became so selfish for warmth that when she tried to roll down her window to cool off (and probably get some fresh air from the stuffy, over-heated car) I would lock the windows at their upright position. I couldn’t fathom loosing any heat from the vehicle. As soon as I saw her (failed) attempt to roll down her window I would erupt in laughter. Let’s just say warmth is a priority for me.

I like to think I have matured a little since then.

Today, rather than torturing my little sister for heat’s sake, I knew a healthy stew would do the trick! Oh. My. Goodness. This stew rocks! The unconventional combination of ingredients is sure to please any pallet.

Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash & Quinoa
Recipe adapted from Cookin’ Canuck

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 ½ C Kale, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
  • 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 3/4 cup pitted and quartered kalamata olives (I used the entire jar!)
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions

  1. Steam the butternut squash until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside.
  2. Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 5 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash with the back of a fork. Set aside with squash pieces.
  3. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
  4. Add chicken thighs, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool. Pour broth into a medium-sized bowl. (You will use the broth later.)
  6. Return the saucepan to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add olive oil.
  7. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
  8. Add minced garlic while stirring for 1 more minute.
  9. To the saucepan, add tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash. Stir to combine.
  10. Stir in reserved chicken broth, kale and quinoa. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
  11. Shred the chicken with your fingers or a fork.
  12. Stir the chicken, olives and pepper into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5 minutes.
  13. Stir in parsley and serve.
Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment