Monday, December 5, 2011

In With the New


I am a creature of habit. My keys are always placed in a particular pocket in my purse, I wore Nike cleats for my entire soccer career, and I tend to buy the same food brands my mother purchased. Just for the sake of mixing things up I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and try a few new things.

I started the change with my favorite item on earth: ice cream. While Hagan Daz is my go-to ice cream brand I decided to give custard a try. Man, oh man I’m glad I did! Consuming Snoqualmie gourmet honey and cinnamon custard was probably the best decision I made all week long! Next time I need an ice cream fix  I’ll have try  Snoqualmie’s caramel ginger snap custard (festive too).
Honey Cinnamon
 When it comes to yogurt I typically grab organic Greek yogurt; however, this time I let my eyes scan for other options and I went with Siggi’s Iclandic skyr yogurt. Honestly, this is my new favorite yogurt! It’s thick, creamy and not too sweet (sweetened by agave nectar)! I’ve already tried two flavors, pomegranate and passion fruit as well as orange and ginger.
Pomegranate yogurt package shot
Beyond exploring new food products I focused on executing my usual routines differently as well. Every week I make an effort to go to the gym 4 to 6 times. When I’m at the gym I usually head straight to the treadmill and run anywhere between 6-11 miles and then top it off with an abs workout. This week I opted for a spin class followed by a kettlebell routine. Turns out that is just what my body needed! I have been so sore the entire week! My hamstrings are tight and my quads, which rarely get sore, are aching.
 I really should venture out of my comfort zone more often! By doing so I have discovered new food favorites and developed new muscles. Oh, the simple pleasures in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment